Host damage protection, a part of AirCover, provides Hosts with $1 million in coverage in the rare event your place or belongings are damaged by a guest during an Airbnb stay.
Start an AirCover request
File for reimbursement for damage, missing items, or unexpected cleaning.
Host damage protection covers you for:
- Damage to your place or belongings caused by a guest (or others)
- Unexpected cleaning costs you incur due to the behavior of a guest (or others) during an Airbnb stay
- Income lost if you need to cancel confirmed Airbnb bookings due to damage caused by a guest (or others)
When you offer an emergency place to stay through Airbnb.org, you’re still covered by Host damage protection.
Host damage protection doesn’t cover:
- Damage from wear and tear due to ordinary and reasonable use
- Loss due to acts of nature (like earthquakes and hurricanes)
- Injury or property damage to guests or others (those may be covered by Host liability insurance)
- Other exclusions apply
The reimbursement process
Here’s how to get reimbursed if damage does happen during a stay:
- Gather evidence of the damage (photos, videos, estimates for repairs or cleaning, and/or receipts).
- Within 14 days of the responsible guest’s checkout, file an AirCover request through our Resolution Center.
- After you submit your AirCover request, your guest will have 72 hours to pay. If they decline to pay the full amount or don’t respond, you’ll be prompted to involve Airbnb Support. Keep in mind that if you do involve Airbnb Support in your AirCover request, you must do so within 30 days of the damage or loss.
How Host damage protection works with cleaning and pet fees
If you choose to include cleaning fees or a pet fee, please keep in mind that they are meant to cover expected costs.
Host damage protection, on the other hand, covers unexpected costs related to additional cleaning or pet damage—for instance, removing smoke odor or replacing your sofa because a dog chewed it up.
To learn more about Host damage protection, go to the terms.
Disclaimer: Host damage protection isn’t an insurance policy. It doesn’t cover Hosts who offer stays through Airbnb Travel, LLC, or Hosts in mainland China or Japan. Host damage protection isn’t related to Host liability insurance. Keep in mind that all coverage limits are shown in USD, and that there are other terms, conditions, and exclusions.