When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it's important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace, we do not provide legal advice. Nonetheless, we want to provide some useful information that may help you better understand the applicable laws and regulations in Richmond, VA.
This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. If you have questions, you can visit Richmond’s Short-Term Rental (STR) webpage, contact the city at 804-646-6340 or PDRZoningAdministration@rva.gov directly, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.
Hosts in Richmond are required to obtain a Short-Term Rental (STR) Permit approval number from the City of Richmond, VA.
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Visit Richmond’s STR webpage for more information or contact the Zoning Administration Division at PDRZoningAdministration@rva.gov or (804) 646-6340.
Step 2: Get Short-Term Rental Permit
- Hosts may register on the City of Richmond’s Online Permit Portal page.
- Cost: The Biennial Fee for a STR Permit is $300. Each STR Permit is effective from January 1 of the year the STR Permit is obtained to December 31 of the following year (i.e., it’s a 2-year permit).
Step 3: Add your registration number to your listing
As a last step, we recommend that you add your STR license number to your listing. Once you add your number, your STR Permit will be on your listing for two-years.
Renewing your registration
You’ll need to renew your license every two years.
License renewals can be applied for and paid for on the City of Richmond’s Online Permit Portal.
Other contracts and rules
As a host, you may need to understand and abide by other contracts or rules that bind you, including leases, co-op rules, HOA rules, or other rules established by tenant organizations. You should be able to find out more by contacting your housing authority (such as a community council) or landlord.
Our commitment to your community
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
- Lambton Shores, OntarioKui kaalud võimalust hakata Airbnb majutajaks, pead olema kindlasti kursis oma linnas kehtivate õigusnormidega. Platvormi ja turuplatsina ei…
- Southampton, New YorkKui kaalud võimalust hakata Airbnb majutajaks, pead olema kindlasti kursis oma linnas kehtivate eeskirjadega. Platvormi ja turuplatsina ei p…
- Turundusmeilid KoreasPaku, isikupärasta, mõõda ja paranda meie Korea kogukonnale mõeldud reklaami ja turundusvõtteid.